Travellers thwarted by concrete barriers at Cranbrook station
PUBLISHED: 16:22 08 June 2017 | UPDATED: 09:18 09 June 2017
Preventative measures have thwarted a third traveller settlement at the Cranbrook railway station car park.
A convoy of travellers arrived on Burrough Fields, the approach road to the station, during the late afternoon of Tuesday, June 6.
Alerted to the problem, Cranbrook Town Council (CTC) liaised immediately with the New Community Partners Consortium.
“The Consortium acted instantly and commissioned their enforcement officers to encourage the travellers to move on,” said a CTC spokesperson.
“The concrete barriers, which the Consortium had installed at the station, successfully deterred the travellers, who found themselves unable to access the station car park with their vehicles.”
The convoy then moved on.
The incident follows two unauthorised encampments at the car park in March and April. The barriers were implemented by the Consortium and Devon County Council (DCC) in May.
A DCC spokesman said: “The temporary barriers have so far proven effective in protecting the station car park for its intended use for rail passengers. Discussions are ongoing with the Consortium, and we are making progress in working towards a permanent solution.”