Devon firefighters warn of spontaneous combustion of tea towels

PUBLISHED: 10:59 18 May 2017

Archant

Fire chiefs have issued a warning about the possibility of the spontaneous combustion of tea towels at catering premises.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service has raised the issue following a fire at Exeter Chiefs’ Sandy Park stadium.

The service says spontaneous combustion of tea towels can occur when organic oil residue remains in the material after washing, and they are then folded and stored in piles while still hot from the tumble drier.

Watch manager Gareth Sydenham said: “It may sound like a strange phenomenon but is actually more common than you might think. Cotton laundry can often be contaminated with organic cooking oils that can self-ignite if dried and stored.”

The service says residue of grease or oil – particularly from vegetable and animal based fats – still present in linen can start a fire.

The problem arises when the wash cycle has not been hot enough to remove the residue.

If laundry is then heated in a tumble dryer it can ignite spontaneously a period of time after the drying process has finished.

Watch manager Sydenham added: “Make sure you do your wash at the right temperature, usually above 90 degrees celsius, with the appropriate detergent to remove any oil-based contaminants.

“Also make sure you wait for your laundry to cool down before packing it away and store it in a well ventilated place.”

The service is also giving the following advice to businesses:

• Run the full cool-down cycle of the dryer

• Do not place laundry into large stacks or piles

• Do not leave damp items in a warm or hot dryer

• Clean filters, remove fluff, lint and debris from dryers and keep them regularly maintained

In addition, ensure an adequate and well maintained fire detection system is in place.

Other News Stories

5 minutes ago

More than 1,200 tonnes of rubbish was recycled in East Devon over Christmas and New Year - the equivalent of six blue whales.

Read more
15:02

Pet’s injuries were so bad she now has to be fed through a tube in her neck

Read more

Laurie Spencer, who owns Porkies the Family Butchers in New Street, has replaced plastic packaging with paper products at his shop – even though the cost is higher.

Read more
07:02

New head teacher Tracey Hart pledges to continue building on the school’s success and progress

Read more
Yesterday, 16:57

The deadline for applications for funding from the East Devon Parishes Together scheme is on Thursday, February 8.

Read more
Yesterday, 15:02

Two teams from Holyrood Academy took on the design challenge at Bovington Tank Museum

Read more
Yesterday, 14:31

Police say the road is partially blocked as a result of the incident, which happened at 2.07pm.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:30

East Devon District Council (EDDC) has been forced to fork out an estimated £41,552 clearing up dumped waste across East Devon between 2015 and 2017.

Read more
Yesterday, 10:49

A burglar who fled court half-way through his trial has been jailed in his absence after being found guilty of a ‘mean’ break-in.

Read more
Yesterday, 07:01

Grading success for Seaton Martial Arts Centre pair

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 6°C

min temp: 2°C

Most read

Useful Links

Facebook
Twitter
Photo Orders
Family notices
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Devon Freewheelers

Devon Freewheelers

Read Online

Image
Read the Cranbrook Herald e-edition E-edition
Could not fetch editions

Show Job Lists

Local business directory

Cranbrook's trusted business finder

Find planning applications